While winter seems like it’s already been here for far too long, its effect on our heating bill is only beginning. Keeping energy costs low during the coldest months of the year can be a challenge, but that doesn’t mean you can’t take steps to potentially decrease those costs. That’s why we’ve jotted down a few furnace tips to help keep heating bills from skyrocketing.
To take aim at lowering your heating bills and increasing your energy efficiency this winter, consider:
- Keeping your blinds open throughout the warmest hours of the day to allow sunlight in, helping warm your home naturally.
- Sealing cracks around your home’s windows and doors with caulk or weather stripping.
- Adding a programmable thermostat so that you can more easily control the temperature in your home, which will also improve energy efficiency.
- Cleaning or replacing your furnace filter every three months.
- Checking your home's heating vents to ensure they are open and aren’t blocked by any obstructions
- Replacing your old furnace with a newer, more efficient model if you’ve had your current furnace for more than 15 years.
- Putting insulation in your attic to keep the heat trapped inside.
- Checking your roof to make sure your shingles are intact, and that no holes or areas need sealing.
Attempting to keep your energy bills down and energy efficiency up, is a year-round practice, one that can seem overwhelming at times. However, that doesn’t mean that you can’t take a few small steps to make sure you’re keeping your bills as low as possible. If you have any questions regarding the tips above or questions about how you can decrease your heating bills, give us a buzz at 505-445-1250. Our experts are here to help you keep your home comfortable all year long, even with the crazy Albuquerque weather.