On average, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association
. Dependent on a lot of factors—like your home’s location, whether or not you have pets, and how frequently your air filter has been swapped out, to name a few—you may need to have air duct cleaning
more or less often. So, how can you know for sure when it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? There are certainly some telltale signs when it’s time.
Look for these clues:
- Are your cold air returns covered with dust or pet hair?
- Is there a jam inside your cold air return vent?
- Are your registers carrying out dust?
- When you look inside with a flashlight, can you see a buildup of debris or pet fur?
- Have insects or rodents found shelter in your ductwork?
- Can you hear clatter other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
- When your vents are fully opened, do any have less airflow than others?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s probably time to ask I-Deal HVAC in Albuquerque about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
There are a few things you can do to help keep your ducts cleaner and extend the timeline between specialized cleanings.
Above all, setup regular HVAC maintenance with the specialists at I-Deal HVAC. A maintenance check of your furnace each fall and your AC each spring, which should include inspection, and prospective replacement, of your air filter, will help keep your HVAC system operating effectively, and may help keep your ducts clean.
You can also converse with the team at I-Deal HVAC about installing an air purification system. We provide the Lennox PureAir Air Purification System, Healthy Climate Carbon Clean 16 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate 11 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filtration System and Healthy Climate UV Germicidal Lights.
Other steps you can take include:
- Regularly dusting and vacuuming your home.
- Checking your air filters regularly and replacing them when the manufacturer recommends changing them. Most filters will show dust on them after a short period in service, but they may not demand replacement.
- Sealing seepages in air ducts that permit dust to move in from areas like your attic.
- Trading poor or damaged air-duct insulation.
With a specialized air duct cleaning and some preemptive measures, you can help keep the air in your Albuquerque home clean and healthy. Give the professionals at I-Deal HVAC a call at 505-445-1250.